Friday, June 24, 2011

"Kashmir"


Last night I was a guest of Ambassador Husain Haqqani at his residence in Washington DC. There were about 300-350 guests at a BBQ thrown by the ambassador from Pakistan and his wife. I've lived in DC for most of my life, and this is my first embassy related party. I need to go to more of these things. I hope my connections "On The Hill" lead to more of these type of things this summer.

The food was great, but that almost goes without saying. The beef and chicken were delicious, but let me say that if a Pakistani ever offers you lamb... just start planning on how you are going to get more. I wish that carry out bags were available.

As per my usual, I feel uncomfortable talking to grownups with real jobs, so I didn't meet and greet too many people, though the hill staffer who invited me, and his father, both talked to a lot of very interesting people. I on the other hand talked to the catering staff, and in a complete accident, ended up having a great conversation with a group of interns from the Embassy. They are American college kids with a Pakistani background.

My biggest surprise was that there was alcohol served. Beer, wine and hard liquor. Now, I would have expected that at an event hosted by the British ambassador, or Mexican, French, Chinese, in fact, most of them. But a majority Muslim nation? Turns out that "when in Rome" is in full effect. Not that I saw any embassy personnel drinking, just that it is expected that alcohol will be served at a reception.

Long story short: I had a good time, I did not cause an international indecent, and Pakistani food is great.

No comments: