Thursday, September 27, 2007

"You're So Vain"



The above song is one of those music trivia nut Meccas. Tons of articles have been written on the subject of just who Carly Simon is singing about and annoying voiced Weasel must bring it up every time he plays the song. But there are lots of songs where we know exactly who the singer was talking about. Well, I do anyway. How about you? Name the person[s] the song is about.


1. Don Mcelan's "American Pie" (Three People)

2. The original version of Sir Elton John's "Candle in the Wind".

3. Bob Dylan's protest song "Hurricane".

4. The Commodores hit song "The Nightshift" (Two People).

5. Stevie Wonder's jazz/pop fusion song "Isn't She Lovely".

6. R.E.M. hit "Man on the Moon"

7. "Pride (In the Name of Love)" by U2 (just the last verse really)

8. Roberta Flack and later the Fugees had big hits, but originally Lori Lieberman sang "Killing me Softly With his Song" based on a poem she wrote about this performer.

9. Derek and the Dominoes "Layla".

10. "Don't Speak" by No Doubt.

11. Joan Baez "Diamonds and Rust".

12. "A Case of You" by Joni Mitchel.

13. Anita Carter first sang "Ring of Fire" but you probably know the Johnny Cash version. (OK, this one is tricky and may not count)

14. Puff Daddy had a lot of help putting together the song "I'll be Missing You".

15. Tori Amos' song "Jackie's Strength"

Bonus : Alaniss Morissette and Carly Simon have both written songs about someone and not publicly revealed the name of the person the song is about. "You Oughta Know" and of course the title of this post. So who are some of the front runners for these mystery men?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never respond to the quizzes because I suck at them.

This one is no exception, but I do know that the answer to 1) is Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper.

I also like to imagine that "You Oughta Know" is about Dave Coulier. Mainly because that makes me laugh.

Unknown said...

Dave Coulier is my favorite guess too. Mostly I imagine him doing his comedic voices "in the theater".

hemisphire said...

2. Marilyn Monroe
3. some boxer
4. Marvin Gaye
5. his daughter
6. Andy Kaufman
7. MLK Jr.
9. Pattie Boyd (a gimme)
10. the bassist
14. Big Poppa!
15. Jackie O.

Vain: Warren Beatty

Patrick said...

"Killing Me Softly" is about Don Maclean. Everyone else got all the ones I know, though American Pie is so chock full of them, I can offer Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and the Beatles. Is "I'll Be Missing You" about Biggie Smalls? Is Big Poppa another of his nicknames?