Friday, September 28, 2007

"Ramble On"


[grins] sometimes I love picking the song titles.

So this might be one for most of you to ignore. I'm going to talk about game related stuff. Role Playing Game related stuff. So just ease on down, skip on down, or what have you.


A while back, I started a game with a friend of mine. It must have been late 2005 when we began the planning. Our idea was simple: Ocean's 11 was a fun movie. Let's make a game. Alright, there was more to it than that, but I wasn't blogging then, so I don't remember all the details. We eventually settled on updating the World of Darkness (old one) to something with a more in depth combat system. We had shopped the idea around to some friends of our and received some good feed back so we set out to do it.

After weeks of weekends we had a system ground out that we liked, and a world we really liked. Then we started working on the pitch. Our group games. At the time it was growing, and more people wanted in, and games were ending and everyone was exciting for "what comes next". My own game I was running ( a Technocracy game if you must know, I love "bad" guys.) was done, and the others I was in, or knew of were finishing, so I sort of grabbed the reigns and said "lets be organized". So one day, in the first weeks of 2007, around fifteen people came to the house I live at and sat around being really big geeks.

Everyone who had an idea got to pitch it to the group. Then we would pass around sign up sheets and see who was interested and when and how often people wanted to play and hopefully everyone would be happy at the end of it. So that day we got pitched a band of mercs working for Wilks in the Rifts universe; something in the Angel universe; something in the Cyber Punk universe; choose your own character from sci-fi set on a StarTrek vessel in a made up universe; AD&D with well researched house rules in a new world; and our game. Pick a criminal archetype and go with it.

Generally the pitch party was a success. We added some new players to the group, and cross pollinated among groups that normally only played certain games. The game I pitched with my friend was chosen along with some others, and we still play it every other weekend. It should be done close to January of next year, making for a nice cycle. True to form, I've been working on my next game for a while now.

The Heist Game, as we called it was large in scope. We literally did have eleven players to start. House burglars, an art thief, drivers, safe crackers, computer guys, etc. Plus two GMs. Thirteen players in a basement. If you are interested, there is a wiki. Dave hooked us up. We've been a little lax in the last month or so, but we were serious to start.

So stay tuned. Come next year there will be more games. Who knows, maybe I'll get to run again. Three years straight. Not bad for the new guy in the group.

No comments: