Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"I Like Beer"

Last night there was a foray into beer country. Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington has literally hundreds of beers available at any given time. About a dozen or so on draft, another dozen "seasonal bottles" and so many many more bottles and cans in the coolers. You want to pick some up for home consumption? They can do that. You want a few short pours instead of pints off the taps so you can taste more? They can do that. They've got pizza, sandwiches, great french fries, and did I mention the beer? They've got wine too. Only thing I wouldn't order again is the onion rings, they were kind of limp, not really my style. The service was top shelf. Our server knew her beer, and only dropped in when it really looked like we needed another drink.

Four beers worth talking about that we tried last night. Franziskaner Weissbier is a German wheat beer. Really nice finish, good taste, solid summer beer. We tried two imperial stouts from Southern Tier Brewing Company: Jah*va and Mokah. You can guess that one is a coffee and the other a coffee and chocolate stout. They were both excellent; very tasty, low carbonation, and not overly sweet. You don't need a full pour of either, they were heavy. I also tried the Woodchuck cider Fall edition. It is like drinking cold mulled cider. I could drink a six and not know I was drinking alcohol until I tried to stand up. So glad to have found a new seasonal at the beginning of the season instead of at the end like I usually do.

Thanks to Kevin for helping me move a piece of office equipment for my boss, which is why we had money for drinking.

2 comments:

hemisphire said...

The pizza is really good, always enjoy their beer selection. My beer consumption has changed since Whole Foods began doing growler fills and Mad Fox opened, though.

Unknown said...

I do really enjoy Mad Fox. Seriously great food and beer. Almost too easy to talk myself into going into Falls Church, ordering frickles and a Saison. Dogfish Head in Chantilly is also a draw. It's a good thing I don't have any money, otherwise I'd spend it all, and not have any money.