Monday, August 1, 2011

"Dream Weaver"

I just went and re-read a few posts on Jeff's blog about his Third Life(c) concept. It popped into my head while I was at my therapist appointment this week. We were talking about balance. When I was working full time at a job I didn't like, I gave myself no time for creative stuff. When I lost that job, and had nothing to do for weeks and months on end, I still did nothing creatively. This month I worked on balance. Work both part time jobs, come home and work on something creative. I think I was successful.

If I've got it right, Jeff's idea of the Third Life(c) is the part of one's life that an artist spends on his art. A life lived outside of the norms of home and work. I think I'm living outside of the norm right now... kinda wish I was a little more norm, but still. But for the first time I think I've been paying attention to the time an artist spends on art. Neil Gaiman gave an interview recently mentioning that if you wanted to be a writer, you have to write every day. If you wait for inspiration you are doing it wrong.

That Third Life(c) time has to be exercised. You gotta take it on long walks, and on sprints. It wants to be good, but if you only take it out once in a while it gets cramps really easy.

I'm happy to say that I submitted something to an anthology today. This was my goal. Not get published, or even, get read and then rejected. Just submit. I hope to submit another one tomorrow.

What are you going to do with your Third Life today?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Thanks for the citation, brother. I think you've managed to describe it more succinctly than I have in some four years of writing. Balance is key, and really what I've been trying to get at. I think it's a life-struggle; always there; hopefully something be enjoyed on some level, art or hobby or making hot dogs.