Friday, October 12, 2007

"Don't Lose My Number"


Maren posted a quiz that really took me out of my safe zone and I loved it. I did not under any circumstances win, but I learned a bunch and had a good time. My father sent me a quiz as a spreadsheet last week that I really enjoyed wrapping my brain around. It claimed (as many online quizzes do) to be associated with MENSA, but to the best of my limited research, actually has nothing to do with it at all.

Still, it was fun, and since I'm going to be gone all weekend again, (Suffolk Peanut Festival for those keeping track) I thought I'd leave you with another hard one, but not for the usual reasons.

I do have a tendency to post quizzes about pop culture, this is because I tend to think of it as non exclusionary. If I did a quiz on theater terms, role playing tropes, or my girlfriend, I would be excluding people. But if I talk about movies, TV and music... well, lets face it, if you have an internet connection you have sufficient exposure to pop culture to guess.

But I went back over some of those quizzes and realised "wow, these are 'ef-ing' hard". And mostly because they are obscure. So the quiz below is hard, (at least I found it a challenge to get them all right [full disclosure I never did figure out three of them, I had to ask for the answer] though many of them came to me within minutes of starting, others took days to gestate in my head) but the knowledge is not too obscure. The version I took had 33 questions, and is in fact part one of 4 I found online later. I have trimmed it down to 28 because quite frankly, some of them were lame, and others are not true depending on your faith.

Here are a couple of tips, I've "spoiler tagged" them, just highlight if you want a little leg up.

A. Ignore the letters. Focus on the number.

B. Forget the number, focus on the letters.

C. Say it out loud. Again. Again. See?

So here we go. The first one I've solved for you as an example

0. 24 H in a D 24 Hours in a Day

1. 26 L of the A

2. 7 D of the W

3. 7 W of the W

4. 12 S of the Z

5. 52 C in a D (WJs)

6. 13 S in the USF

7. 18 H on a G C

8. 5 T on a F

9. 90 D in a R A

10. 3 B M ( S H T R)

11. 32 is the T in D F at which W F

12. 15 P on a R T

13. 3 W on a T

14. 11 P on a F (S) T

15. 12 M in a Y

16. 8 T on an O

17. 29 D in F on a L Y

18. 365 D in a Y

19. 13 L in a B D

20. 52 W in a Y

21. 9 L of a C

22. 60 M in a H

23. 23 P of C in the HB

24. 64 S on a C B

25. 9 P in S A

26. 6 B to an O in C

27. 1000 Y in a M

28. 15 M on a D M C

Like I said, my Dad sent this one to me, and he liked it, and I liked it, so I figure, you'll like it. Warning: this is not an "American" test, nor is it a "British" test. It is an international test in English. Have a good time, I'll be back with answers after the weekend.

3 comments:

hemisphire said...

You would have to post this late on a Friday, when my brain in running at 25%.

I'll get some, though:

1. 26 Letters of the Alphabet

2. 7 Days of the Week

4. 12 Signs of the Zodiac

5. 52 Cards in a Deck (Without Jacks)

6. 13 Stripes in the United States Flag

11. 32 is the Temperature in Degrees Fahrenheit at which Water Freezes

15. 12 Months in a Year

17. 29 Days in February on a Leap Year

18. 365 Days in a Year

20. 52 Weeks in a Year

22. 60 Minutes in a Hour

27. 1000 Years in a Millennium

Anastasia B. said...

I'll go from where the last comment left off:

3. 7 Wonders of the World

5. 52 Cards in a Deck (Without Jokers)

7. 18 Holes on a Golf Course

8. 5 Toes on a Foot

13. 3 Wheels on a Tricycle

23. 23 Pairs of Chromosomes in the Human Body

Yeah, that's all I got. Good one!

Maren said...

All right. I enjoyed this one. I got some that have been guessed already, and I made up all the ones I couldn't see right off. Here they are. If any more come to me, I'll post again. Where's Dave??

1. 26 letters of the alphabet
2. 7 days of the week
3. 7 wonders of the world
4. 12 signs of the zodiac
5. 52 crawdads in a dinner (with jellybeans)
6. 13 stripes in the United States flag
7. 18 holes in a golf course
8. 5 toes on a foot
9. 90 degrees in a right angle
10. 3 big men (should have three roses)
11. 32 is the temperature in degrees farenheit at which water freezes
12. 15 penguins on a rock together
13. 3 wheels on a tricycle
14. 11 pomegranates on a first (season) tree
15. 12 months in a year
16. 8 tentacles on an octapus
17. 29 days in February in a leap year
18. 365 days in a year
19. 13 loaves in a baker's dozen
20. 52 weeks in a year
21. 9 legs of a camel
22. 60 minutes in an hour
23. 23 pieces of candy in the huge box
24. 64 stations on a C.B.
25. 9 pronouns in Standard Arabic
26. 6 boys to an oar in crew
27. 1000 years in a millenium
28. 15 monkeys on a dead man's chest